These tips will be useful if you booked a stay in our villa in Valsolda, Como province, Italy.
Arrival by car
You need a motorway tax sticker (Vignette) on highways and speedways in Switzerland (green signs). When crossing the border you are obliged to buy it (CHF 40). Alternatively, you can order it online here. It is not needed in urban areas or on local roads such as between Valsolda and Lugano.
- From the North: You pass either the Gotthard or San Bernardino tunnel, highway A2 until the exit Lugano North. At the roundabout continue in the direction of Gandria/Lugano through the tunnel „Galleria Vedeggio-Cassarate“. Continue towards Gandria on the Via Cantonale. Shortly after Gandria you cross the Swiss-Italian border. Immediately after, follow the signs ‘Valsolda/lungolago’ and turn right at the traffic light before the tunnel onto Via Caravallo (SS 340 Regina). Continue for about 3.3 km/2 miles up to kilometer 49 on SS 340. Here, you turn left at the fork onto Via Sasso Rosso Dario (signs there: Immobiliare Valsolda, Camping San Rocco, districts (Frazioni): Loggio, Drano, Puria, Dasio, and others). After the next switchback turn right at the sign ‘Monte Rodolfo’ onto the private road (Strada Privata) Via delle robinie. After the first turn, after number 12, take the small gravel road on your right. You have reached your destination at the white covered parking to your right (ATTENTION: HEIGHT 2 meters/6 ft. 5 in).
- From the South route 1 (with Swiss motorway tax sticker): From Milan follow highway A9 direction Chiasso, where you pass the border to Switzerland (motorway tax sticker needed). Continue on A2 until the exit Lugano South (exit 50). Follow signs to Gandria. From there see description “from North”.
- From the South route 2 (without Swiss motorway tax sticker): From Milan take highway A9 (“Dei Laghi”) direction Lake Como. Then continue along Lake Como direction Menaggio. In Menaggio turn on SS 340 towards Porlezza-Lugano. After Porlezza follow the signs ‘Valsolda/lungolago’. Shortly after the exit, between km 48 and 49 turn right sharply on Via Sasso Rosso Dasio (signs there: Immobiliare Valsolda, Camping San Rocco, districts (Frazioni): Loggio, Drano, Puria, Dasio, and others). Continue as described under “from the North”.
- Get off at Lugano Main Station, from there bus no. 2 to Cassarate, change to bus C12 towards Menaggio. Get off at stop San Mamete – Bivio Sasso Rosso or Cressogno Via Statale. Duration: journey time ca. 45 min.
- Alternative route from the South: train to Varenna (Lake Como), from there by boat to Menaggio, then bus C12 direction Lugano.
- Lugano Airport (Agno): from there by car via Lugano, see ‚by car‘. Journey time: ca. 30 min.
- Malpensa Airport: from there by car via Lugano, see ‚by car‘. Journey time ca. 90 min (after Chiasso motorway tax sticker needed!). Alternatively, there is a Shuttle Service to Lugano Main Station, journey time ca. 55 min: http://www.luganoservices.ch/, http://malpensa-express.com/de/, http://www.jetbus.ch/. From there see ‚by train‘.
- Bergamo Airport Route 1: By car via Lecco to Varenna. Cross Lake Como by boat to Menaggio. Continue on road SS 340 direction Porlezza/Lugano, see ‘by car – from the South route 2. Journey time ca. 2h10min.
- Bergamo Airport Route 2: By car via A4/E64, A8, A9 towards Como/Chiasso where you cross the border to Switzerland (motorway tax sticker!). Continue on A2 until exit Lugano-South. From there through Lugano towards Gandria, then follow description ‚by car – from the North‘. Journey time: ca. 1h50 min.